My Thoughts on Blogs...

 My Thoughts on Blogs...


    The only other blog I've really read on my own was the lead singer of a band that I like who started a blog about his day to day life. He had started it because a new chapter of his life was starting and he wanted to document it. This new chapter for him was marriage and he wrote about all the places they went on their honeymoon. Not only did he talk about his current life but occasionally he would tell old tour stories and even share old demos that him and his band worked on. I enjoyed reading his blog however I didn't keep up with it for very long. Here is a link to his Blog if you would like to check it out. (https://open.substack.com/pub/mindsweep/p/my-trigger?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email)

    When looking into what is considered a blog I was surprised that the number 1 most popular blog was the billboard hot 100 chart. When I thought of blogs before this assignment I was just pictureing a generic day in the life blog about someone's extraordinary life, like the one I mentioned above. Now knowing that the billboard hot 100 chart is one of the most popular blogs in the world, I do think that it is one of the more interesting blogs. I don't mean to say that this kind of blog is good or bad but just interesting, and this is because of all the talk that it can generate between fanbases of different artists.

    Ive seen recently some people call out Taylor Swift for releasing multiple versions of her recent album in order to stay at the top of the charts. Specifically you have retaliation from fans of Billie Eilish, who just released her new album, and they think it's unfair that Taylor Swift is using what they think is a cheap tactic to staying relevant. So now this chart has divided certain groups of people against each other when its only purpose is to show what artists are being listened to the most. That is what makes this specific blog very interesting at least to me because since I am obsessed with music I constantly see what artists are currently topping the charts and there is always some kind of discourse around it.



    I think the negative discourse from the Billboard charts is an issue but it's not all bad. A band that I really love named twenty one pilots also released an album about a week ago and it ended up right next to Taylor Swift's and Billie Eilish's albums on the charts. People in the twenty one pilots fanbase were pushing to try and top Taylor swift but ultimately came just short, some even vocally siding with fans of Billie Eilish against Taylor. The crazy thing is that the front man of twenty one pilots subtly responded to these post from people saying "Any artist that focuses on these charts has completely lost touch with what matters." That statement hit me like a truck and put even my own thoughts in place. 



    The blogs that Billboard does highlights popular artists achievements when it comes to staying "relevant", and this is something that should be kept track of. However The artists themselves have no say in who is at the top of the charts, it's ultimately the fans of the music that decide what is at the top. The artists job is not to stay relevant for the longest amount of time, it's just to make good music that people want to listen to.

Comments

  1. You only discuss the Billboard blog here, not two as assigned. When analyzing the blog, consider the elements of the blogs that also impact the reader/viewer's experience. Font? Color? Size? Photo to text ratio? Simplicity versus busyness, etc.?

    Moving forward, hyperlink any URLs directly to the words they are associated with (i.e. Billboard Top 100) to make them easily accessible to the reader and avoid clogging up your post with the entirety of the URL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was surprised to see that Billboard Hot 100 chart was not only a blog but number one. When I thought of a blog as well I would think of someone talking about their day to day lives or different things such as that. I enjoyed that you included a photo of the tweet that you were directly referring to in your post. I agree with you when you said that it artist jobs aren't to ensure they stay on the top of the charts but to make good music.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #2: My Big 3

Entry #5: Rhetorical Analysis of the bear ad